• 24/7 access to UK based GP
  • Cover for 1,000's of medical conditions
  • £10m medical cover
  • 14 Day Cooling Off Period

Do not fear – the Brexit Q&A is here!

January 16, 2019

The UK will leave the EU on the 31st January 2020. We will then enter a transition period whereby everything will remain the same – at least until the 31st December 2020 anyway.

Well, fear not UK travellers, we have found and answered the most popular travel-related Brexit questions to put your mind at ease – or at least try.

Read on for tips and advice.

Britain leaving the EU

What Brexit related risks are covered by Get Going’s travel insurance?

Travel Disruption:

Emergency Medical Expenses:


Do I need to Brexit proof my trip?

Whilst the transition period offers a year of reassurance (to an extent), after this up who knows what it could mean for travel. It is important that you ‘safety proof’ any trip, regardless of where you are going. The best way to do this is by taking out a travel insurance policy which meets the needs of both yourself and your holiday.

Does cover change after Brexit?

No, your level of cover will remain the same, however do bear in mind the date you purchased your policy. For example, should there be strikes at the airport after Brexit, which were announced prior to you taking out a policy, then you may not be covered. Anything unforeseen that occurs after the date your purchase your policy will be covered.

Will I need a new passport to travel to Europe after Brexit?

As part of the EU, UK travellers are only required to have a passport which is ‘in date’ on the day they return home, back to the UK. During the transition period this will remain the same, however whether or not this will change after the 31st December is yet to be announced.

So, will I need a visa to travel to Europe after Brexit?

You will not need a visa when travelling to the EU. However, it may become compulsory in 2021.


Will my EHIC still work after Brexit?

The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), previously known as the E111, has been a staple for Brits, providing access to free (or substantially reduced) emergency medical care in the EU since 2004, and the UK government are keen for UK and EU nationals to continue to be able to use this whilst abroad.

It has been announced that the EHIC will be valid until 31st December 2020. However, this doesn’t mean that travel insurance is not important. You must declare all medical conditions to your travel insurer, otherwise your policy may become void.

Will my airline still be able to fly after Brexit?

As part of the EU Regulation 261/2004, those travelling are entitled to claim compensation up to €600 (depending on timeliness of delay and flight duration) from the airline.

Do bear in mind that this does not include delays caused by circumstances outside of the airline’s control, such as dangerous weather conditions. This legislation has also been introduced by the UK Government post-Brexit.

Will queues be longer at border control?

The Government have announced that transport will not be affected by Brexit, which means flights shouldn’t be grounded and queues should be no longer than what they currently are.

Do ensure you give yourself plenty of time to make it to the airport and get through security – traffic and queues can be unpredictable so be prepared.

Will my driving license still be valid in the EU after Brexit?

UK residents currently driving in an EU country require only a full UK driver’s license. This will remain the same during the transition period (until 31st January 2020).

Do bear in mind, travel insurance does not cover motor insurance, therefore if you are hiring a car or taking your own vehicle, then you will need to take out appropriate car insurance cover.

Will I still be able to buy duty-free goods after Brexit?

You will still be able to purchase duty free items post Brexit. However, after the transition period is over its uncertain whether you will be able to purchase said goods.

 If you are travelling to the EU, information on the items involved and allowances can be found on the European Commission website.

What happens if my tour operator goes bust?

There is always a chance, all be it small, that a travel company could go bust. This could be a result of Brexit or another factor – but when that does happen, understandably you want to know you’ll get your money back.

Holidaymakers who have purchased a holiday which is ATOL protected then you will be able to claim your money back should the company go bust. This also includes holidays which have been purchased from an EU country.

If your holiday was purchased through a credit card, then you could claim the cost back from your credit card company.

If your trip is not ATOL protected, the providing you have financial failure included in your travel insurance policy, you can make a claim.

Am I still entitled to compensation if my flight is delayed because of Brexit?

Under the European passenger rights, UK holidaymakers are currently entitled to claim for compensation if their flight is delayed. The amount of compensation passengers can receive is up to €600 and dependent on both the length of the delay and the distance of the flight. The delay must also not have been caused by ‘extraordinary circumstances’, such as air traffic complications or adverse weather.

This legislation has been adopted by the UK government and will continue post-Brexit.

Previous Article

2019 Holidays Which Won’t Break the Bank

Next Article

Cities to Celebrate – ‘Chinese New Year’ Near You



To enable us to direct you to the right agent, please select from below